5.29.2010

garden: stage 2

Our free-cycled/dumpster diving garden is really coming along!  I got a flat each of Matthiola and Fuschia at work today, along with some overgrown Thyme and Marjoram and some scraggly sad peppers.  I have faith in my green thumb but I also may have bitten off a bit more than I can chew!  There are plants everywhere!!!
The flowers came straight out of a hot humid compartment at the greenhouse yesterday and its still fairly cool at night so overnight I kept them in a make shift greenhouse tent and "flood floor"  in my bathtub to ease the shock.  Its also easier to water a bunch of small pots all at once from below like this.  This morning I transplanted all the flowers and moved them out onto the front stairs.
Camden took charge of the peppers, we have a whole field of them now although we'll have to thin out the ones that don't survive to give the rest room to grow.
And I happily started to fill in around the cedar with the herbs.  The nice thing about getting huge numbers of tiny plants is its easy to establish a dense groundcover :)  We free-cycled another roadside shelf and turned it on its side to make another planter so I'm really hoping to find some veggies to go in it...
... to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment