8.03.2010

Book Review: Handmade Nation

Although I have a huge library of craft books, they are mostly tutorials, guides or source books.  In "Handmade Nation: The Rise of DIY, Art, Craft, and Design" by Faythe Levine and Cortney Heimerl, I found a book that beautifully stitched together the essence of what I love in the DIY craft movement: reclaiming the word "craftsmen" to include strong inspirational women creating quirky, left of center works.  Penelope Green was right when she said "Their energy is infectious, which is why I call D.I.Y. the punk rock of the craft world."  I love the profiles of the craftsters displaying their unique works and regional influences, but my favourite part of this book is the "New Wave of Craft" timeline (1994 - present) because this is a movement that I have watched unfold from the beginning and the only thing I have participated in continuously for more than a decade. 

No comments:

Post a Comment