8.07.2010

sooooo much rainbow chard!




I just love this vibrant rainbow leafy gem in my garden!  It's been growing prolifically all season and I've been grabbing leaves off it here or there for delicious salad and sandwich fillers. Most people harvest the outer leaves from the chard plants when the leaves are small and tender, but I like to leave the outer leaves, selecting the smaller ones from inside and leaving a ring of leaves to grow huuuuge colourful thick stalks to grow as large as celery. True the leaves are thicker and a bit tough but the vibrant stalks are great to chop up and add colour to many different dishes!  As long as the roots are not severed, gently pulling the outer leaves from each plants as they grow will ensure a continually young harvest throughout the summer season.  I've harvested armfuls of the stuff and its still growing strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment