1.23.2011

Fruit Relish Bruschetta

Made right near my parents house in Waterdown, ON - this Frootogo Orchards Fruit Relish has been sitting unopened since Christmas... far too long!  So tonight I made bruschetta :)


First I defrosted the waffles in my regular toaster and topped them with the Fruit Relish.  Sticking them in the toaster oven on a bake setting at 350* to warm the relish, I started making the meringue topping.  Earlier I had separated 3 cold egg whites and left them to warm to room temperature.  Beating them until frothy in a metal bowl, I added 1/2 tsp of vinegar and continued until soft peaks start to form.  I then added 1/3 of a cup of sugar, 1 tbsp at a time until it dissolved.  At this point the mixture should have stiffened, but it didn't and I was impatient so I spooned the mixture onto the warm fruit relish anyways.  Returning the now topped waffles to the toaster oven I baked them another 10 minutes until the topping was golden brown.  Despite not being floufy and airy like a meringue should be, it was surprisingly tasty!  {alternate version: cover the waffles with cocoa hazelnut spread first}

No comments:

Post a Comment