8.12.2011

Decorating with Seasonal Produce



I love this time of year because the farmers market is abundant with a full spectrum of colourful produce!  From the yellows and greens of earlier spring and summer, to the oranges and browns of the impending fall with a wash of rainbow flowers brightening up the mix, I just want to bring everything home .. so I did!  I made a TV top vignette by simply placing a small, fresh scented, lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) into a mug with a little bit of water in the bottom (above left).

I brightened up the space between my back door and stove with a basket of sweet, juicy, bright orange plums -- easy to grab as I come in and out, then added shocking, lime green gypsy peppers (you may remember this from last year) and topped off the arrangement with a milk bottle of yellow flowers from the Jerusalem Artichoke (Helianthus tuberosus) plants growing wild in my back lot (above right).  Interesting note -- they are neither artichokes, or from Jerusalem but a member of the sunflower family native to right here in Eastern North America!

Below I've shown a very simple way to turn a flower pot into a cut flower bowl by inserting a container of water into the bottom before stuffing in as many colourful flowers as will fit!  Here I've used the romantically named Lily of the Incas (Alstroemeria)  whose colours remind me of summer and fall all at the same time.


No comments:

Post a Comment