9.01.2011

SavourMuskoka: from Farmers Markets to 100 Mile Store

SavourMuskoka is a collaborative approach to local food -- they provide consumers with an ongoing inventory of locally made or grown products, regional culinary destinations, + events, trails, packages and experiences that are unique to Muskoka.  I first found out about the partnership when I picked up a print copy of their Regional Culinary Guide map (also available online) but was introduced to them again and again as I met participating members all over my travels in Muskoka.  They're doing a great job of developing the region as a tourism destination because although the focus is on local food and drink they're including all sectors of the economy.  I read through the goals section of their website and one stands out to me in particular, that I'm pleased to see:

to improve communication between growers, microprocessors,
accommodation stakeholders, restaurants, chefs and the retail sector 

Having worked in a number of those fields I know how important it is to have a broad inclusive approach!

The events page clearly listed all the farmers markets in the area and I enjoyed the Gravenhurst Farmers market both Wednesdays that I was here (and last year too!) || Farmers Market || In Season, In Muskoka, In August ||

At home I serve the kind of food I know the story behind --Michael Pollan

Another day I headed just down the highway to Muskoka Meats and the 100 Mile Store where I met the very cute Reed Curry, a passionate supporter of local endeavours, trained chef and (I discovered) a recent addition to the Savour Muskoka Board of Directors.  He again pointed out the map and circled some great destinations on it for me!  Thanks :)  The store itself was great, easily accessible just off the highway and with all sorts of fresh & sustainable local meats, produce and treats.  I was surprised to see quite a number of Toronto and Niagara brands but they were still all great regional products.

Some other Savour Muskoka partners I checked out:
North Restaurant, Johnston's Cranberry / Muskoka Lake Winerythe Muskoka Beer Festival, Muskoka Herb Farm

No comments:

Post a Comment